To begin
my research I first thought about the kind of room I was going to
build and what lighting would be relevant or needed for said room, my
idea was for a simple living room because this could have a variety
of things in it like lamps for small lights, a fire in a big fire
place this is something that could be used with a particle effect
used as a light source.
Now that i
had my idea I began to research different lights used in the unreal
engine, these consisted of;
Point
lights
This was a
simple light that radiates from its centre in a sphere so it shines
in all directions; this could be used for a light that has nothing to
block its light like a standard light bulb hanging from the ceiling
like what’s common in most households. This has a variety of
different options for customization like its radius size or intensity
or even colour to get exactly what kind of result I want.
Spot
Lights
This is
similar to the point light since it is a simple light with the same
customization options except for a few and this is where its sets
itself apart that and the fact its shape is cone based so it can be
targeted like a light that’s point at things, the extra options
this has is the radius of the outer cone and inner cone as well as
there length which dramatically alter the shadows and intensity of
the lights, I believe this is probably going to be my most used light
just simply because of the complex things that can be done with such
a simple light.
This light
is used to simulate the lights created from the sun, this allows the
creator to simultaneously light the entire level which is useful for
open world levels and games but less useful for interiors since they
would be blocked by the ceiling created. Since my level is going to
be a room this wouldn't be needed but would still be useful for some
light coming in through the windows.
God Rays
God rays
are simply beams of light that are visible in the air that are
created by viewing lights on certain angles in rooms this would be
something I will try to incorporate into my level.
Emissive/Particle Lights
Emissive and
particle lights are a lot more niche and not as commonly used lights in game
since they take up a lot of GPU especially particle systems these are more used
for demonstrations or short scenes, this meant I would try to include one of
these to cover more lights in my level and since it’s only a short section I thought
the GPU issues wouldn’t affect my small scene.
No comments:
Post a Comment